Inspection and inspection of scaffolding is an important thing to do to ensure there is no remaining risk for workers. Workers on the scaffold can fall from a height and workers under the scaffold can be crushed by the scaffold or material on the scaffold. Therefore, every scaffold should be checked before being used for the first time. In the meantime, you may also call the best Scaffold tower hire company to rent some excellent and sturdy scaffoldings full article.
Many aspects must be checked to make sure the scaffold is safe. Despite this, there are 10 steps to visually inspecting scaffolding:
1. Complete work permit. A work permit usually includes a Job Safety Analysis, a Scaffolder Certificate, and a scaffolding permit. The permit must be completed before scaffolding is made.
2. See the comparison of bays and lifts. A safe ratio is 1 bay: 3 lift. Outriggers/supports can be installed scaffolding to strengthen the bond between the lift and the bay below.
3. Check the footing of the scaffold and the baseplate and soleplate of the scaffold. Make sure the parts are not cracked or rusty. If using wheeled scaffolding, make sure the wheels are locked.
4. Check the standard part of the scaffold, make sure it is straight, not rusted, and strong. You can use a level pass to measure whether a standard section is straight or not. To measure strength, usually, it can be hit with a key/pliers. When the sound is loud, the sign is strong because there is no air gap blocking the sound.
5. Stairs must be installed to be able to access higher levels. Not allowed to climb through the scaffolding pipe.
6. Check all parts of the scaffold, make sure it is not rusted or damaged.
7. Check all clamp ties, make sure they are securely connected.
8. Ensure that the anchor position of the body harness is at least waist level, it is not permitted to anchor the body harness at foot level. Therefore, it is important to install the mid rail and top rail at the very top level of the scaffold.
9. Ensure all fall risks are controlled by installing railings as required.
10. After making sure it is safe, give a green scafftag which is installed near the access scaffold ladder.